Picture of Just Applied For Logistics Degree Apprentice.*excited* any advice for me :)

Just Applied For Logistics Degree Apprentice.*excited* any advice for me :)

Picture of Fiona
1 response

Sumit I. asked a question to Fiona C.

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, March 18, 2021

Picture of Fiona C.

Fiona C.

Customer Service and Logistics Manager

Hi Sumit, congratulations on your application, exciting times! I have two apprentices (Jack and Katie) who work in my team so I’ve asked them for their perspective on the hiring process, settling in and balancing their coursework with working life. They’ve been with CCEP based at Wakefield site for a year and are both doing really well, so I hope their feedback is helpful given they’ve been through the process themselves. Jack’s advice: HIRING PROCESS - Research the company before the interview and have questions ready yourself. I think I asked a lot of questions during the recruitment process which I believe made a good impression as they knew I was genuinely really interested and fascinated, and why you want the job. I try not to make it a HUGE deal, as in there are other jobs and opportunities out there that you will be successful with if it isn’t this one, it just personally makes me less nervous. SETTLING IN – Try not to pressure yourself into learning everything in 2 weeks. You have time that is why it is an apprenticeship and in hindsight I wish I hadn’t worried about trying to be perfect right away. Say hello to everyone you pass in work and get coffee/tea in as it is a great way to interact with everyone initially without the pressure of a 10 minute conversation. If its big like our site, ask for a tour(s) first week, as familiarisation is important. BALANCING WORK + COURSEWORK – I think the system of Friday/one day a week on uni projects works great. It allows me to not worry about how/when I will get my coursework done as I have a specific time that I know I can work on it, and allows me to focus on work while on site. Could be that my knowledge has improved, but I think the reason my coursework has drastically improved is due to this, plus I can shut my door and have no distractions, which isn’t (always) possible on site. So having a structure is place from the off that works for the apprentice can only help. OTHERS – Try to know your own learning style, or figure out during training who work best for you + ask questions, people forget certain information, especially abbreviations. Katie’s advice: Hiring Process- • When going through the hiring process and interviews, try to stay calm, just be yourself. The person who is interviewing you knows what you are capable of from your CV, so in the interview they want to see who you are as a person. • It can take a long time to get through the process so try not to get discouraged. • As Jack said, doing your research is a great way to show your interest and to be prepared. I felt better when I had a few key phrases or facts about the company memorised in case they asked any questions to test us. Settling in – • In a company as big as this you will always find someone likeminded so in the first few weeks start by saying hi to people. You’ll quickly find that everyone will say it back, especially at Wakefield. • If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. Everyone has been in that position before so reach out if you need to. • Depending on your comfort level, interact with different people – offer to get them a tea/coffee, ask someone to teach you about something or even ask if you can join them for breakfast. • Your first few weeks can be a lot to take it. Don’t be worried if you forget things or lose where you are. Eventually it will all click and you’ll be settled in no time. Balancing work/coursework – • Carry a notebook or a notepad with you. This will allow you to write notes of things you need to do or want to learn or facts you’ve learnt. It’s a great way to keep a track of your day-to-day • Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do your coursework or training. If you need help with anything, just ask. • Find out what type of learning environment works for you – headphones on, a quiet room, being in a busy office. The best tip I have is to enjoy yourself. Apprenticeships are a fantastic opportunity to learn whilst gaining work experience. The flexibility that apprenticeships provide means it is up to you how much you gain and grow from this. I hope this helps. I would echo everything Jack and Katie have mentioned. It really is a great scheme that gives a balance of academic and job related learning. The opportunities really are endless! Good luck with your application and please feel free to ask any further questions. Thanks, Fiona

Thursday, March 18, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?