Picture of I am currently in hospitality, Im hoping to change careers, any advice about a job as a merchandiser would be brilliant!

I am currently in hospitality, Im hoping to change careers, any advice about a job as a merchandiser would be brilliant!

Picture of Alan
6 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Ruth M. asked a question to Alan B.

Date asked: Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Last reviewed: Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Picture of Alan B.

Alan B.

Representative, Merchandising

The Merchandising role involves visiting stores belonging to the 4 largest national supermarket chains to ensure stock availability on shelf and in the fridges. Compared with hospitality one of the key benefits is daytime regular hours - full time is 37.5 hours per week, generally over 5 days Tuesday to Saturday. You need your own car to travel round 6 or 7 stores each day spending around an hour in each store, filling coolers and shelves, checking stock levels and activating Point of Sale materials. You’ll be paid a mileage allowance (45p/mile for the first 10,000 mile each year ATM) to cover your fuel & running costs - tires, servicing & insurance etc. The work can be quite physical - your daily step count won’t drop below 15k on a lot of days & there is bending & lifting to do. You’ll have uniform clothing and protective footwear. Your territory as a full timer will probably be 15-20 stores and you’ll be in some of them 3 or 4 times per week so although you work on your own you do establish good communications with store staff. The merchandising role is a great job to get into CCEP, and if you are effective at what you do there are loads of opportunities to develop a long term career with the Company. You’ll spend 3-4 weeks on induction training with various experienced merchandisers from you team, and although you don’t see your own colleagues much between team meetings there is plenty of interaction in group chats and your mentors and manager are only a phone call away. Medium term CCEP is a great business to work for, competitive salaries, good benefits and career prospects.

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Ruth M.

Thank you for that information! Getting the steps in is great! Im quite active. It sounds ideal! Hopefully I will hear back soon and get an interview. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Picture of Alan B.

Alan B.

Whereabouts are you located?

Ruth M.

In Swindon. I have applied for a part time position I believe.. 30 hours per week. Also are there set working hours each day?

Picture of Alan B.

Alan B.

There are Core hours, you can agree with your Team Leader whether you start your work day at 8.30 or 9.00 and do your 6 hours.

Ruth M.

Brilliant! Thanks again!

Did you find this discussion helpful?